Here is a link to my segment on The Today Show with Hoda and Kathie Lee discussing the Age of Abundant Love through online dating: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/39439105#39439105
It was great fun!!! Here is what I did not get to cover on the show:
This is The Age of Abundant Love for singles– because for the first time we have the technology to be matched with 100s or even thousands of potential partners! Now is the time to find love.
Just go to your computer! Internet technology has opened up choices in three ways: through online dating sites, social networking, and the use of Google to find offline activities with lots of guys in them. this is truly the Age of Abundant Love.
- Online dating is no longer just for “desperate people.” It is the norm. 30 million Americans use online dating each month. In 2007 there was a huge transformation where more people over the age of 45 met their life partners through online dating rather than through the traditional route of friends, coworkers and family. There are now many more niche sites, for example, catering to green singles, deaf singles, and of course ethnic sites like jDate.com and Blacksingles.com. Also now there are mega, bigger-than-ever sites that are teaming with potential partners, like Plentyoffish.com
- Social networking at sites like Facebook (boomers using social networking have almost doubled in the last year, so this includes all ages), and college alum sites have become popular for meeting potential partners, especially lost loves.
- Search engines like google allow you to search for activities and classes in your area that have lots of the opposite sex in them—having to do with business, sports, leadership, cigar-tasting (for meeting guys); or personal growth, yoga, cooking (for meeting women) etc– so you can reverse the odds and meet people offline much more easily than ever before.
All of these methods are yielding success!!!
To help you take advantage of the Age of Abundant Love, here are a few of the dozens of dating tips in my best-selling dating advice book, Love in 90 Days: The Essential Guide to Finding Your Own True Love:
- sign up for at least 2 online dating sites, a large one and a boutique site
- use social networking—like Facebook
- find activities filled with the opposite sex in your area
- date three people casually at the same time
- look for at least two months of improving contact to consider dating a person exclusively.
Red flags/Things to avoid
- Safety first: When you meet someone for the first time after an online match, meet in a public place, tell a friend where you are going and take your cell phone
- Lying—about 20% of men who do online dating lie in a major way–about not being married, profession, income or age. Women also lie. Be heads up about this.
- Avoid prolonged email exchanges with one person where you never actually meet—there could be no chemistry whatsoever
- Avoid having expectations for quick success, because you will burn out. This is a numbers game and you have to sort through a lot of mismatches to get to the great ones. But the great ones are out there!
Wishing you a beautiful Age of abundant love,