Shy on a First Date? Seven Tips to Make You Sparkle
Shy On a First Date?
After a great app and text romance, text jokes, and a few one hour soul-to-soul phone sessions, it is time to meet the possible One at the local Italian place. When you look in the mirror nothing seems right. So you notice the bulges around your thighs and the gap between your front teeth. What are you going to talk about on that first date? Good grief! You feel like you’re all the way back in high school.
You seem to have a PhD in shyness. And you know just how awkward things can get when you get tongue-tied or feel intimidated. There is nothing quite as intimidating as being shy on a first date with someone who seems like just the right match; a hottie who fits you like a silk glove.
Seven Dating Tips for Women who are Shy On a First Date
1. If you are meeting your date in-person, make yourself beautiful or attractive IN YOUR OWN EYES (which are the eyes that really count). Definitely, take your time to do this. And, make sure you dress down or up so you fit in and feel comfortable at the meeting place.
2. Have topics ready to discuss around movies/TV shows, books, and news that you both may find interesting (nothing political).
3. To avoid being shy on the date, prepare your answers to the questions, What’s new? What have you been up to?
4. When you get to your first date, smile and give the person your full attention. Notice very carefully what they are wearing and other details about your surroundings. The cut of his shirt, the color of the molding on the walls, how the waiter is dressed, etc. This will get your attention off yourself. Attention that is stuck on yourself is the whole basis for shyness!!
5. Ask general, casual, open-ended questions like, How did your day go? What was it like where you grew up? How did you get interested in X? What drew you to my profile? Pay attention and enjoy the sound of your date’s voice as he/she answers these questions.
6. Avoid discussing old boyfriends or relationships. It’s the number one conversation killer on a first date. Don’t talk about marriage, kids or sex. Or discuss debt or health problems.
7. At the end, if there was any connection at all, tell your date how much you enjoyed talking with him or her and that you would like to continue it sometime. This is especially important if you’re a successful woman.
For more tips on making your first date memorable read this.
Sign up here for a powerful gift!
FREE Top-Tier Love Strategy Session!
Limited time offer
Hi, I'm Dr. Diana Kirschner. My team and I have helped thousands of successful single women, including judges, famous shrinks, CEOs, philanthropists, Directors, professors, and celebrities like Hoda Kotb from The Today Show to find a high-quality man who understands, appreciates and cherishes them, and I'm confident we can help YOU too!
I'm a PBS Love expert and psychologist who has appeared on Oprah, the Today Show and in an Amazon Prime show, Love in 90 Days based on my bestseller Love in 90 Days. My work has been featured in The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal, ABC, People, and NPR.
I specialize in helping high-caliber women create feminine self-confidence, dating success, and passionate love matches.
I want to do everything I can to give you hands-on personalized support that will make a lasting difference!
During your powerful and dynamic one-on-one session, we will help you with your unique dating situation. You'll walk away refreshed and inspired, with a clear step-by-step path forward to move through any obstacles and get the top-tier love you want. And deserve!
"I followed the program and enjoyed the process. I appreciate Dr. Diana planting very helpful seeds!"
-Hoda Kotb, The Today Show
Here's what women like you are saying:
"My love strategy session helped me to meet a really high-caliber guy! In it I learned how to tweak my profile to attract great matches. And my boyfriend is the best! We are having a blast building our dream house and planning for a cruise to Tahiti !" -Darla, Psychologist & Author
"I was fifty-two years old with a career that was enviably successful. But my love life was not. And I couldn't figure out why. As my love mentor, Diana helped me understand that I not only deserved to have but could have a strong, loving life partner who would always be there for me. I found true love in three months! And after 4 plus years of marriage, my husband and I still pinch ourselves every day to make sure that it's not a dream!" - Midge Woolsey, PBS Pledge Host