First Date Questions: Four Ways to Tell if He’s Commitment Material
Are you tired of men who seem to want something long-term with you only to disappear? Guys who say one thing but do another. Those that run for the hills when things start to deepen. If only there was a way to work the first date questions to tell if someone is commitment-oriented or the “marrying-kind.”
Guess what? There is!
Four Questions You can ask on a first date to Know if He’s Marriage Material
- First, ask him to tell you something about his childhood, such as “What’s one of your favorite childhood memories?” This opens the door to give you more information and ask a follow-up question about his upbringing, such as “Oh, what are your parents like?” Someone who is open (which you want!) will usually share details.
- Alternatively, you can tell him something about your parents and childhood. Which then opens the door for you to ask about his. As he responds, you should be able to sense whether he has any bitterness.
- Then, let him tell you about his family. You might say something like, “So where did you grow up?” After he answers, you might say, “Oh do your parents still live there?” Again, just bringing up the topic usually opens the door to delve deeper without being intense or sounding like an interviewer!
- Ask him if he has a spiritual side. Or a religious side. This will surface pretty quickly what is happening on that end.
Why These Four First Date Questions?
Over the past few years, researchers have looked closely at the types of men who are more interested in a long-term relationship and if, age appropriate, to have children. They’ve been able to distinguish those that are marriage material and those who are likely to be commitment-phobes or players. And guess what? There are telltale signs that you can use to guide you on the first date.
Rutgers University and the National Marriage Project conducted a national study that showed that married men were more likely than single men to have grown up with both biological parents. Almost half of married men reported going to religious services several times a month while less than a quarter of the unmarried men did.
When researchers sorted out the single men who were marriage material they found similarities among them. Men who said they came from traditional backgrounds and intact families and those who regularly attended religious services were the best prospects. These men agreed with the following statement: “You’d be ready to marry tomorrow if the right person came along.” A Gallup poll also showed that the vast majority of these men are seeking a “soulmate.” They are actively looking for someone who will fulfill their emotional, sexual and spiritual desires. And they also want a partner who will also share bread-winning responsibility.
Who Are Not Marriage or Commitment Material?
According to the research, the non- marrying kind, however, were more likely to:
- Distrust women
- Agree with the statement that there are so many bad marriages today it makes one questions the value of marriage.
- Believe that singles have better sex lives.
- Worry more about divorce.
- So how do you get down to the nitty-gritty with your first date questions? Without sounding like you’re intensely interviewing a guy to be your potential husband?
How to Gauge Answers to the First Date Questions to Know if He is Marriage Material
Now, of course, if someone didn’t grow up with both parents or doesn’t have a religious or spiritual background, this doesn’t mean he isn’t the One and isn’t capable of making a life-long commitment. This is a just way to gauge how ready he is for commitment on the FIRST date.
Pay attention to the other nuances of how he answers the first date questions. Is he bitter about relationships, clearly angry about his childhood, not over a divorce. Does he have a negative view of life and have an “every man for himself” vibe? These are all red flags. Move on. You’ll save yourself a lot of time, frustration, disappointment and heartbreak.
Ultimately you’re looking for a guy who is comfortable around you, who feels like he could be a solid, caring friend. One who doesn’t try too hard but shows he is totally into you. A good person with whom you share chemistry that is brewing but not over the top and out of control. If you’re having trouble knowing if he’s marriage material after the first date questions, I have a gift for you.
My gift to you is I will personally select one of our expert dating coaches to help you handle your unique challenges and get THE relationship that is just right for you. This is time-limited, so Click Here now to be matched for free and get your Complimentary Breakthrough Session by phone, Zoom or Skype. It can change your life.
Sign up for your Gift Breakthrough-to-Love Session Here!
As a relationship expert, I've helped thousands of women get the love they want-even when it seemed impossible. I'm Dr. Diana Kirschner. You might know me from my PBS Special, seen me on Oprah, or have read one of my bestselling books.
I want to do everything I can to give you hands-on personalized support that will make a lasting difference.
During your powerful and dynamic one-on-one session, we will help you with your unique relationship or dating situation. You'll walk away inspired, with a clear step-by-step path forward to move through any obstacles and get the love you want.
Here's what women like you are saying:
"My session was an incredible game-changer! I was finally able to see a way forward with my boyfriend and he has proposed!
I'm very grateful!" -Jenn in New Mexico
"I was fifty-two years old with a career that was enviably successful. But my love life was not. And I couldn't figure out why. As my love mentor, Diana helped me understand that I not only deserved to have but could have a strong, loving life partner who would always be there for me. I found true love in three months! And after 4 plus years of marriage, my husband and I still pinch ourselves every day to make sure that it's not a dream!" - Midge Woolsey