Dating a Single Dad? Nine Must-Have Tips
The Rise of Single Dad Households
More and more fathers have full or joint custody of children. Chances are high that you may find yourself dating a single dad. If you don’t have kids yourself, this can be both exciting and daunting.
Nine Tips To Keep in Mind When Dating a Single Dad
1. Slow and steady wins the race. Often a single dad who is looking for a long-term relationship will take things slower. Be patient. He isn’t going to introduce you from day one! A good dad will be protective of his children. And that’s what you want!
2. Be flexible. One of the hardest parts of dating a single dad may be that the kids are of course are a major priority. This doesn’t mean he doesn’t have space in his heart to love you, it’s just that he won’t be able to drop everything for a romantic getaway or spend endless hours on the phone with you.
3. Ask him about his kids. You’re probably already doing this, but I didn’t want to skip over it. A single dad who has long-term relationship potential will want to tell you about his kids. Make an effort to get to know about them before you meet them.
4. Validate how wonderful his kids are, even if he complains about them. He may say negative things, but it’s not okay for you to say negative things about them. Be positive and accepting about them.
5. When the time comes to meet the kids, be ready with a thoughtful gift. Come in to meeting them full of appreciation and thoughtful presence. Give them something small that shows you already know a bit about them.
Dating A Single Dad: Dealing With His Kids
6. Don’t make any suggestions about parenting the kids until you’re married to this guy! Leave all that to him.
7. When dating a single dad, don’t discipline his kids. As the relationship grows and you spend more time with the kids, you want to position yourself as the more accepting, loving one and (hopefully) he’ll be the disciplinarian. All too often, I’ve seen women try step into the role of a second parent by telling the kids what they should and shouldn’t do. Often they’re just trying to be helpful, but it backfires with the kids.
8. Make sure you’re validating, encouraging and appreciative to both the children and the children’s mother. You don’t ever want to enter the role of the wicked stepmother. Instead bring love and more possibilities for joy to the whole family.
9. When you are dating a single dad and if his ex is making his life hell, be a great sounding board and give him lots of empathy.
Dating a single dad can be an amazing experience
If you’re struggling with dating a single dad, you can get in touch with me today to get a personal gift from me to you.
As a PBS love expert, I’ve helped tens of thousands of women handle similar issues and get the love they want. My gift to you is I will personally select one of our gifted dating coaches to help you handle your unique challenges and get THE relationship that is just right for you. This is time-limited, so Click Here now to be matched for free and get your Complimentary Breakthrough Session by phone or Skype. It can change your life.
Also, for lots more on dating single dads, get my free Must-Have Dating Tips & Relationship Advice Newsletter. It even comes with 3 free Essential Love Trainings for anyone looking for love:
- What Men Want in a Relationship (It will surprise you!)
- How to Find Love When You Feel Deserted
- Secrets of Irresistible Self-Confidence at Any Age
Sign up for your Gift Breakthrough-to-Love Session Here!
As a relationship expert, I've helped thousands of women get the love they want - even when it seemed impossible. I’m Dr. Diana Kirschner. You might know me from my PBS Special, seen me on Oprah, or have read one of my bestselling books.
I want to do everything I can to give you hands-on personalized support that will make a lasting difference.
During your powerful and dynamic one-on-one session, we will help you with your unique relationship or dating situation. You'll walk away inspired, with a clear step-by-step path forward to move through any obstacles and get the love you want.
Here's what women like you are saying:
“My session was an incredible game-changer! I was finally able to see a way forward with my boyfriend and he has proposed!
I’m very grateful!” ~Jenn in New Mexico
“I was fifty-two years old with a career that was enviably successful. But my love life was not. And I couldn't figure out why. As my love mentor, Diana helped me understand that I not only deserved to have but could have a strong, loving life partner who would always be there for me. I found true love in three months!*. And after 4 plus years of marriage, my husband and I still pinch ourselves every day to make sure that it's not a dream!” ~ Midge Woolsey
Dr. Diana Kirschner
Diana Kirschner, Ph.D. is a relationship advice expert, frequent guest psychologist on The Today Show and the creator of a globally available dating coach and Love Mentor® program. Dr. Diana is also the best-selling author of the acclaimed best-selling relationship and dating book, “Love in 90 Days”. Love in 90 Days was the basis of her PBS Special on love. Connect with Dr. Diana through her Dating Tips & Relationship Advice Newsletter.
“Diana Kirschner’s work is life-changing, love-affirming and wonderfully effective.”
~Dr. Christiane Northrup, Internationally bestselling author of Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom.