1. What is a Love Mentor®? What does she/he do?
A Love Mentor® is a devoted and inspirational coach who: helps you develop self confidence and your own unique charisma and beauty (what I call your Diamond Self Identity); assists you in clarifying exactly what you want in your dating and love life and holds that vision for you; develops a plan for meeting terrific men or moving forward with a guy of interest and helps you implement that plan as needed so that you meet with success. A Love Mentor® provides deep emotional support, advice that works in regard to meeting and engaging great guys off-line and online, constructive feedback and “a swift kick” in the rear end whenever you need it! She is like a practical fairy godmother!
2. Did somebody coin the term “love mentor?” Is this a new concept?
I coined the words “Love Mentor®” and “Love Mentoring®” and I have the trademark for both terms. They refer to coaching on dating and love relationships according to the proven principles in my books, Love in 90 Days: The Essential Guide to Finding Your Own True Love and Sealing the Deal: The Love Mentor’s Guide to Lasting Love.
3. What kind of backgrounds/qualifications do your they Love Mentor®s have?
I have 11 Love Mentors™ who work under my supervision. They all have a minimum of a Master’s Degree in a mental health discipline, many years of clinical experience, have been extensively trained by me and have passed my written and an oral exam. Also, they are all in true love relationships (they walk their talk).
4. How would an ordinary woman go about finding a love coach? Are there guidelines/criteria for what to look for?
Here are steps you can take to find a love coach in your network:
- Figure out your needs—whether it is emotional support, guidance and knowledge about flirting, how to meet men through off- or online dating or helpful criticism.
- Make a list of all the kind, wise people in life, ones that are successful in love (this is critical—they need to be in a healthy love relationship in order to guide you.) This list could include a good aunt, stepparent, minister, a 12 step sponsor, rabbi, or a dear friend.
If you can’t find one in your network you can also consider hiring a professional Love Mentor™
5. How does one separate phony or incompetent dating coaches from the good ones?
Since this is not a regulated professional field, make sure any dating coach has some training in a mental health discipline as well as in dating coaching (this is quite specialized knowledge!). In addition, ask them if they, themselves, are in a commmitted love relationship or marriage.
6. When you say a Love Mentor®? is an inspirational coach, is the person always a trained therapist? Or are love mentors different than therapists? They’re different from matchmakers, right?
There are many dating coaches out there who have very little formal training in any discipline and poor success rates.
My Love Mentors™ have extensive and varied training. They have training as therapists as a base from which to function and understand mentees, but they do not function as therapists. They do not go into past traumas, or handle psychopathology—and they do not simply reflect back what a client is saying—they give very active feedback and advice. Love Mentors™ are forward-looking, validating, instructing change agents who know the road to dating and relationship success. They do not set up women with dates or prospective partners. That is what a matchmaker does.
7. What does a love mentor cost per hour?
There is quite a range, because there are discount packages that include Love Mentoring sessions plus email Q & A backup and complete review and optimization of your online materials and photos—plus a rewrite of your online profile.
8. Is love coaching a fairly new concept?
Untrained dating coaches have been around for years.
9. Do you have any testimonials about love matches, marriages, and/or permanent relationships you have made, or that your dating coach experts and love mentors have made?
We have numerous testimonials about women having great success in dating and meeting a wonderful partner. For example, my love mentoring student, Midge Woolsey, who was the on-air PBS Pledge Show host for my PBS Special, Finding Your Own True Love, was a women in her fifties who got married for the first time to an amazing guy. Midge asked me to be her Love Mentor and the process is beautifully described in this NY Times article.
10. You mentioned that coaching about dating is a very specialized area. Can you add any details about what in particular such an expert has to know or do?
Love Mentors™ have specialized knowledge about: the research on the psychology of men and the nature of attraction; how to overcome shyness and build personal charisma and attractiveness in dating; where and how to meet potential partners in your daily life; how to optimize your online photo and profile; which online websites to use and how to use them to meet quality guys; how to flirt with and engage terrific men; how to date a number of men quickly and efficiently in order to find the “gems”; how to optimize the commitment process with the “One” and much more.